66. Li XS, Zheng WY, Lou SX, Lu XW, Ye SH. Effect of Ginkgo leaf extract on vascular endothelial function in patients with early stage diabetic nephropathy. Chin J Integr Med . 2009;15(1):26-29.
Proton pump inhibitors (eg, omeprazole)
35. Hauns B, Häring B, Köhler S, Mross K, Unger C. Phase II study of combined 5-fluorouracil/ Ginkgo biloba extract (GBE 761 ONC) therapy in 5-fluorouracil pretreated patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Phytother Res . 2001;15(1):34-38.
44. Kudolo GB. The effect of 3-month ingestion of Ginkgo biloba extract on pancreatic beta-cell function in response to glucose loading in normal glucose tolerant individuals. J Clin Pharmacol . 2000;40(6):647-654.
12. Köse K, Doğan P. Lipoperoxidation induced by hydrogen peroxide in human erythrocyte membranes. 2. Comparison of the antioxidant effect of Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) with those of water-soluble and lipid-soluble antioxidants. J Int Med Res . 1995;23(1):9-18.
77. Chavez ML, Jordan MA, Chavez PI. Evidence-based drug—herbal interactions. Life Sci . 2006;78(18):2146-2157.
28. Eli R, Fasciano JA. An adjunctive preventive treatment for cancer: ultraviolet light and ginkgo biloba , together with other antioxidants, are a safe and powerful, but largely ignored, treatment option for the prevention of cancer. Med Hypotheses . 2006;66(6):1152-1156.
Benzodiazepines (eg, alprazolam, midazolam)
14. Birks J, Grimley Evans J. Ginkgo biloba for cognitive impairment and dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev . 2009;(1):CD003120.
There are no known serious reactions from the use of Ginkgo biloba.
This medication contains ginkgo biloba. Do not take Eun-haeng, fossil tree, ginko biloba, ginkyo, icho, ityo, Japanese silver apricot, kew tree, maidenhair tree, salisburia, orsilver apricot if you are allergic to ginkgo biloba or any ingredients contained in this drug.
Documented increase in peripheral blood flow in diabetes, intermittent claudication, and hearing loss.
No information available
- 80 mg taken orally two times daily; start on day 16 and continue until day 5 of next cycle
WARNING: seeds and fruit pulp are toxic.
- 120-160 mg/d taken orally in divided doses two to three times daily
Avoid prior to surgery: may cause bleeding.
- 360 mg/d taken orally in divided doses three times daily
Fatal intracerebral mass bleeding occurred in a man 71 years of age taking concurrent Ginkgo biloba and ibuprofen. 142 He had been taking GBE 40 mg twice daily for at least 30 months before his death, which occurred 4 weeks after starting ibuprofen 600 mg daily.
48. Kudolo GB , Wang W , Elrod R , Barrientos J , Haase A , Blodgett J . Short-term ingestion of Ginkgo biloba extract does not alter whole body insulin sensitivity in non-diabetic, pre-diabetic or type 2 diabetic subjectsa randomized double-blind placebo-controlled crossover study . Clin Nutr . 2006;25:123-134.
46. Kudolo GB . The effect of 3-month ingestion of Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) on pancreatic beta-cell function in response to glucose loading in individuals with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus . J Clin Pharmacol . 2001;41:600-611.
20. Joyeux M , Lobstein A , Anton R , Mortier F . Comparative antilipoperoxidant, antinecrotic and scavenging properties of terpenes and biflavones from Ginkgo and some flavonoids . Planta Med . 1995;61:126-129.
5. van Beek TA , Lelyveld GP . Concentration of Ginkgolides and bilobalide in Ginkgo biloba leaves in relation to the time of year . Planta Med . 1992;58:413-416.
Cerebral insufficiency may cause anxiety and stress, as well as memory, concentration, and mood impairment and hearing disorders, all of which may benefit from ginkgo therapy.
One review article reported no improvement with ginkgo versus placebo in a 2-month randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study of 37 patients with SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction. Patients received placebo or ginkgo 120 mg daily, which was increased to 240 mg daily by the end of the study. Outcomes were assessed by questionnaire and found a substantial placebo effect with improvement in sexual function. 85
137. Chung KF , Dent G , McCusker M , Guinot P , Page CP , Barnes PJ . Effect of ginkgolide mixture (BN 52063) in antagonizing skin and platelet responses to platelet activating factor in man . Lancet . 1987;1:248-250.
146. Cianfrocca C , Pelliccia F , Auriti A , Santini M . Ginkgo biloba -induced frequent ventricular arrhythmia . Ital Heart J . 2002;3:689-691.